Saturday, August 4, 2007

Its a Family Tradition...

I am torn somewhat by the idea of the family unit being paramount in society. I, myself, belong to a largish family and have a need for that. I also think that American society does not value the individual. WHA...?????, you say? Yep, that's right. I am a 46 year old, single, heterosexual, man. I was unceremoniously thrown out of a long term relationship not all that long ago. Now that I have been dating, playing the field, and enjoying a bit of promiscuity, I am getting pressure from many people I know to choose one woman and "settle down".

Have you tried being a 30 something year old, childless, woman lately? Talk about society viewing you not only as a pile of shit, but they usually add on an element of craziness or evil. A woman I know had a tubal ligation done when she turned 36, having never had a baby first. This allowed her to have (gasp) unmarried sex without the worry of birth control. The people around her have expressed their sympathy over her inability to bear children so many times that she wants to shoot them. " I DON'T WANT ANY DAMN CHILDREN" she will finally scream at them. That is her right, but people think there is something wrong with her because of her beliefs.

My theory is that, other than ancient tribal coflict, most of the ills of the world today stem from overpopulation. We are a pack of wild dogs fighting over every scrap of food, oil, medicine, housing, pussy, you name it. In a world run by hiz-imperial-holiness-great-smiling-chief-king of all he fucking survey's, Charles Vanderveldt, childbirth would probably not even be allowed for a decade or two. There are enough orphans throughout the world to supply most every family with any number of kids they may need.

I wish that American society would at least accept that a family does not have to be one man and one woman getting married and springing off 2.2 children and a dog. Family is what you make of it. The tribal unit can be made up of any type and variety of individuals. As dear Kuzzin Joe likes to say, "If friends are the people you choose to be your family, then family is the people with whom you are forced to be friends".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, so you posted your comment from my blog again (www.myspace.com/tedvanderveldt). good, I think your view is important. I still believe your concept of family differs from what I meant on my post, but I do completely understand what you mean.

overpopulation is an important issue.

I highly recommend you read (japhy ryder's)Gary Snyder's "Four Changes". He brings forth a lot of the issues that I know you believe in. Gary wrote this in 1969. He was ahead of his time.

you can find it toward the back of his "Turtle Island" collection of poetry. "Four Changes" is an essay, not a poem.

Jacq said...

I have a huge family on my father's side and a medium family on my mom's side. Over the years, I've gotten closer with my father's side, mainly because growing up my mom's side of the family was there more.

Now the older family members on my mom's side are dying off. Meanwhile, the larger side of the family continues to grow and grow.

CatsDigMe said...

Family is what you make it.