Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Gimme a Break, Wouldcha

Some of you may have noticed a short post a little while back in which I said I had just purchased a new vehicle. The auto in question is, indeed, a brand new pick-up truck type of thing.

I have been getting a considerable amount of crap from people since I started driving around in it. People who pass me on the street seem to react either with admiration or hatred. Please, people, neither is warranted. To those of you who are unduly impressed with my new ride I say that is very sad. To those of you who glare, frown, and flip me off I have a little more to say. Yes, it is a big, huge, fancy, luxury truck. You are wrong, however, that I am personally responsible for destroying the planet.

There are several points of which you must be unaware. First of all this truck has been completely redesigned for 2007. It was built with new materials which are somewhat lighter than even the usual non-metal auto body parts. Secondly it is more aerodynamic than most passenger cars. Then they did things (weird electronic things) to the timing, the fuel injectors, and the transmission to make it much more fuel efficient than a regular pick-up. It has an onboard computer system which interacts with Onstar via satellite to inform me immediately if the vehicle is not operating correctly. This includes inordinately high fuel emissions. Next, the engine is a V-8, but it is a Chevy 327 which is one of the most economical engines ever built. When the driving conditions are right the engine cuts off the fuel supply to half of the cylinders and the truck actually operates a lot of the time on only four cylinders. Lastly, the engine is "alternative fuel ready", which means it can run on ethynol 85 and certain other non-gas fuels without having to take it in for alterations first.

In my area we just got our first shipment of EH85 delivered. That means each and every gallon of fuel I put in it is 85% corn squeezin's and only 15% gasoline. What does your car take?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've have a gus guzzling mini-van that I tote my wife and 4 kids around it. At our current prices ($2.65) it costs me about $45.00 to fill the tank. I empty that take in roughly a week. my van is not alternative fuel ready and oklahoma stations are not offering these fuels anyway. I shudder to think of what lies before me. I heard yesterday that gas is expected to be at $4.00 a gallon before the end of the year. dammit! why have we as american become resolved to such a fate?

CatsDigMe said...

I paid 2.97 today at Costco. The corn squeezins should be available by the next time I fill up. I guess we also have bio-diesel available here now too, but I can't use that. Yeh, they say we are looking at at least 4.00 per gallon by mid summer. Jesus!

Jacq said...

If you had a Hummer, I'd scoff at you. But since you explained the gas consumption situation earlier, it's no issue for me. ENJOY!!!

Jacq said...

Oh hey, thanks for the recognition in your layout featuring "The Hall of Beautiful Women." I'm so flattered.

Jacq said...

Oh, and don't forget Mary!!!

CatsDigMe said...

Well of course you're included Sweetie. Any archive of beautiful women would be incomplete without you. I'm thankful that I know at least two beautiful women. Oh. I just read your last comment. How could I forget Tall Cool Mary. Thanks dear!

Jacq said...

...and Tannis ;P

CatsDigMe said...

Got em. Guess I know more beautiful women than I thought.