Monday, April 2, 2007

Not in human food, that's good news, but what exactly do we feed our pets?

Updated: 2:08 p.m. PT April 2, 2007
The U.S. is blocking imports of wheat gluten from a company in China, acting after an investigation implicated the contaminated ingredient in the recent pet-food deaths of cats and dogs.

The Food and Drug Administration took action against wheat gluten from Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. in Wangdien, China, after the U.S. recall of nearly 100 brands of pet food made with the chemically contaminated ingredient. The pet food, tainted with the chemical melamine, apparently has resulted in kidney failure in an unknown number of animals across the country.

Wheat gluten from China has been suspected in the outbreak since the first of multiple recalls was announced in mid-March. Even more pet food could be recalled in the next few days, though there probably has been no contamination of human food, FDA officials said Monday.

4 comments:

Jacq said...

This is so disturbing. I keep checking the updates to see if the food I feed them is on there. So far, so good.

CatsDigMe said...

Its unnerving waiting for the other shoe to drop. I wonder how many more foods will be affected and at what point human food will become involved.

Anonymous said...

you know, I've gone vegan a few times in my life. even now I tend to uses fake beef crumbles instead of ground beef just because it seems better for you. now, I've been considering this article. most vegan products have wheat gluten as one of their primary ingredients.

just something to think about.

Jacq said...

I've never been much of a vegetarian myself, but even eating regular beef isn't the best either with all the hormones they inject into it. Let's face it, we're SCREWED.