Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Biggest Word



Such a big word. If you add the word "only" it becomes the biggest phrase. The song is so melancholy, but I still love its simple yet powerful message.

Excuse the note of personal interjection here. I have been feeling blue lately. Really felt it coming on strong as Valentine's Day approached. You all may have caught that if you read my two Valentine posts. I'm afraid the dyed-in-the-wool romantic Hollander has lost his zest for that sort of thing. I just can't do it any longer. The ROI is not equitable.

No more poem's written for a special someone. No more serenading you with my terrible singing voice. No more showing up unexpectedly with a picnic basket and a bottle of your favorite wine. No more spending hours in our favorite little shop hand picking items for your own personalized gift box. No more running to be by your side when sickness overcomes you. No more saying "that's okay" when you call me at three in the morning. No more coming to your rescue when some rotten "MAN" plays with your emotions. No more surprise packages arriving at your front door. No more roses stolen from your neighbor's yard. No more sexy emails for you to wake up to. No more massaging you till you fall asleep. No more going shoe shopping with you just to enjoy your company. No more feather-light kisses. No more being friends with your kids. No more cards. No more letters. NO MORE!

Sorry ladies. You give some of that to me first, then we'll see. Right now it looks doubtful though.

10 comments:

Jacq said...

I've always loved that song. It's just a sweet, sweet song. With a big message.

CatsDigMe said...

Fitting that a monosyllabic word has the most expansive meanings.

Glad you liked it, Lovely Jacqueline!

Jacq said...

Hmmmm...Your words seem to clash with the song. Maybe you should have put Janet Jackson's song "What Have You Done For Me Lately" on instead. That'll show'em.

CatsDigMe said...

I know. That happens sometimes. The song is supposed to be a romantic love song. This time around it simply reminded me of things that might have been and wasted efforts.

The Janet Jackson song has the appropriate message on a surface level. Since it is sung by a woman it becomes yet another anti-man song. Wasn't the sentiment I was going after.

Anonymous said...

honestly, you should go to rhapsody.com or something and check out "big dipper" by Cracker. it is off their Golden Age album. it is, tragically, a rather overlooked song. I'm sure if you listen to it you will discover many lines that will smack you right in the face.

I was stoned out of my mind the first time I heard it. 3/4's of the way through it I was positive ole David Lowery was speaking directly to me. lyrically that song is just genius.

Jacq said...

Gender roles are often intertwined.

CatsDigMe said...

True Jacq. I do think that Ms. Jackson's song is anti-male though.

Jacq said...

She must have been having a bad go of it at the age of 20 when she did that song. It happens.

And speaking of songs, the song you have featured here has a line that says, "If a picture paints a thousand words, than why can't I paint you..." Ever use that as a pickup line? I've heard of guys who have. For shame.

CatsDigMe said...

I hear you. Janet must have had something personal happening when she wrote that song. Well, I'm assuming she wrote it. Its probably not anti-male in any real sense. It just didnt fit with what I was experiencing.

Nope, I never used that as a pick-up line. Lord how cheesy is that?The pain and frustration the writer feels is so evident in that line. "If" he could only paint her...

I dig the more hopeful lines of "you come, and pour yourself on me" and "then you and I would simply fly away"

CatsDigMe said...

Ted, I checked out one of the songs you suggested. The link for "big dipper' thus far is not working. I'll try again after the internet finishes its requisite Saturday morning spaz attacks.