Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Cupid Laughing, Spreads His Wings?



I know. We who refuse to be held captive by this maniacal holiday run the risk of incurring womankind's eternal wrath. I'm sticking to my guns, thus far anyway.

What a fucked up holiday this is. Women are forced to endure year after year of idiotic, thoughtless presents. Men are forced to wander aimlessly through the lingerie department of their local department stores, trying desperately to not look like a moron or a pervert. If you buy your lady the traditional box of chocolates she will look at you with disdain and say it will cause her to get fat. If you do not cough up the said box of sweets you are accused of thinking she is already fat.

And, lord forbid, that you might actually be single on that awful day. What are you going to do? Hope that some equally forlorn creature takes pity on you and slides over a "friendship" Valentine card? And speaking of the "friendship" variety of card, what does that say exactly? I really like you. Thanks for not having sex with me. Yah, with the population of the planet being what it is, we would all have to send out about a billion of those. Sorry, its not in the budget this year.

5 comments:

Jacq said...

Geez! You're more of a humbug than I am! haha

CatsDigMe said...

I'm not a humbug. I am a die-hard romantic. I just ain't gonna have the military/industrial/greeting card complex ordering me to be romantic in a certain way at a certain time. I'll gladly steal some roses for you, the day AFTER tomorrow! Heh.

Jacq said...

Right on!!!!

Anonymous said...

you have to realize that, and I can say this from experience, this whole holiday is easier when you are married. this year my wife took me to the best Thai restaurant in the universe (see, it was Thai for me and Italian for her). after that we went to Target and splurged (remember, we live in Norman, Oklahoma. our options are limited). after that we went home, released the babysitter, sent all the children to bed, and proceeded to sleep the sleep of the dead. perfect. ya, sex would have been nice, but not when your 4 year old can only sleep in between you and your old lady--that would have resulted in too much therapy for all of us.

old married people rule in '08!!!

CatsDigMe said...

Happy belated VD, Ted.