Tuesday, February 20, 2007

1966



I remember this poster hanging in the hallway at school when I was a child. I'm bringing it back now that I am merely a living thing.

Another Mother for Peace was founded in 1967 by a group of women strongly opposed to the war in Vietnam. Their mission was to create a non-partisan, non-profit organization "to educate women to take an active role in eliminating war as a means of solving disputes between nations, people and ideologies." Dedicated to the principle that war is obsolete, AMP encouraged its members to do Peace Homework by writing to elected government officials to express their desire for peace.


The Another Mother for Peace Sunflower Logo
The organization's vision was embodied in the Another Mother for Peace logo - a sunflower with the words: "War is not healthy for children and other living things" created by Lorraine Schneider. This irrefutable statement with its brilliant and childlike design appeared on posters, bumper stickers, note cards, letter seals, key rings, and of course, the distinctive gold medallions worn by supporters of Another Mother for Peace all over the world. A simple yet powerful statement of conscience, the sunflower logo helped make Another Mother for Peace one of the most eloquent and effective anti-war voices of its generation.

6 comments:

Jacq said...

That's the year my sister was born.

CatsDigMe said...

I was five.

Anonymous said...

I want that poster! gimme, gimme. actually, how about a sticker for my car.

if those aren't already available, you should send that pic to Northern Sun. maybe they will print them up.

CatsDigMe said...

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool. I found it through a Google search. I think I just put in the text and hit "search the web". Several sites came up and one of them was a photo of the poster. Its for sale for 19.99 at one of the sites.

Jacq said...

Did you check at allposters.com or is that where you found it?

CatsDigMe said...

You can go to

www.thepeacecompany/store

That's where I found it to save to my hard drive. It's also for sale for $19.95. I couldn't find it at allposters.